Re: Towards resolution of SVG 1.2 Flowing text

Peter Sorotokin wrote:
> At 03:58 PM 11/2/2004 -0500, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> Why not allow nested flowDivs to be consistent with HTML and avoid the
>> need for flowPara?
>
> flowDiv is more like html:body than html:div. It is an element that
> hosts the flow, not a block-level element. Top-level flow elements
> (html:body, svg:text, fo:flow) are normally not allowed to nest like
> that. It is also quite different from flowPara from the implementation
> point of view.
>
> Maybe it should be renamed into flowBody.

I don't think flowBody would give the right idea, but maybe
'flowSection'? Indeed flowPara is now allowed at the root level, but
that is just shorthand for putting it into a single flowDiv, you can't
use that to flow into a second region.

Two things I'm hearing from the feedback:

   a) the names are too close to those found in HTML while having
      different functions, this causes confusion as to the intent and
      purpose of text flow;

   b) the prose description is not sufficient to describe the intended
      rendering -- it needs expansion.

--
Robin Berjon