Re: SVG 1.2 - 3.2.1 editable

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:28:34 +0100
To: Cameron McCormack <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Monday, March 22, 2004, 6:13:29 AM, Cameron wrote:

CM> Dean Jackson:
>> Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that. I guess they could catch the focus
>> event and fire an animation which sets the style.

CM> This reminds me of something I was going to mention but forgot about.
CM> How about allowing the .animVal properties of the various SVGAnimated*
CM> types to be read-write?

CM> The reason I'd like this is that sometimes you want to animate (or cause
CM> other temporary modifications to) elements with script and not SMIL.

This is already handled. But script makes changes to the DOM, and
animation works on top, so it all works together.

What you are asking for is a sort of immediate mode graphics where
script makes changes to the result of the animation. We then have to
say how long that value persists if there is an animation running as
well.

CM> While there is a way to make reversible changes to any CSS properties by
CM> modifying the override stylesheet, there's no parallel for attribute-only
CM> properties.

Well there is, but you have to store the old value yourself.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group