Re: SVG 1.2 Notes:

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:29:29 +0100
To: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Cc: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>, www-svg@w3.org

On Mon 2004-03-22 Dean Jackson wrote:
> My answer was going to be "Why can't you?", but then I realised that
> you're not allowed to have foreign namespaces in <title>

Each container element or graphics element in an SVG drawing can
supply a 'desc' and/or a 'title' description string where the
description is text-only.

Description and title elements can contain marked-up text from other
namespaces. Here is an example:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<svg width="4in" height="3in" version="1.1"
   <desc xmlns:mydoc="http://example.org/mydoc">
      <mydoc:title>This is an example SVG file</mydoc:title>
      <mydoc:para>The global description uses markup from the
        <mydoc:emph>mydoc</mydoc:emph> namespace.</mydoc:para>
   <!-- the picture goes here -->

"description is text-only" and "Description and title elements can
contain marked-up text from other namespaces" seem to contradict each
other, especially the former confuses me a bit.

> at least according to the DTD (which may not be normative this time
> around).

Since DTD can't describe arbitrary foreign content it sure would be
sensible to choose a sufficiently capable schema language instead for
the normative schema (eg make the RNG normative).

> I argued once for foreign stuff inside <title> and <desc> but I
> lost,

The 1.1 spec allows it AFAICS.

Vim users, don't forget to