Re: Use of SVG logo

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:16:42 +0100
To: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus@gnome.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
On Sunday, March 21, 2004, 5:31:48 PM, Christian wrote:

CFKS> Hi,
CFKS> We have a small application bundled with librsvg which is a very simple
CFKS> SVG viewer. It is free software (library is LGPL and the microscopic app
CFKS> is actually public domain). Anyway we want to use the SVG logo as an
CFKS> appicon for it (an appicon is that small logo often appearing in the top
CFKS> right corner of the window decoration on Linux apps). Is this ok? What
CFKS> are the rules for using the SVG logo?

The SVG logo of the W3C page is something I made up in a hurry because
I needed one. Its unclear if it has any official standing and it seems
clear most people think it sucks.

CFKS> Attaching the SVG we made of the logo for our use since I didn't see a
CFKS> SVG version available on the website. The SVG is made by Tobias Jakobs.

OK, here is the SVG that the PNG on the website was made from. Its
called SVGlogo-new because I tweaked the original one in November 2001
to conform to SVG 1.0.

CFKS> If you have problems with our use that is ok, our artists can just come
CFKS> up with something else :)

I actually have no problem with it if it is being used to promote SVG.
The SVG WG is currently looking at logos, I might add (but designed by
real graphics artists not by geeks in a hurry).

CFKS> Screenshot of the small viewer with the SVG logo used as appicon:
CFKS> http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/images/rsvg-viewer.png

Nice application. I realize librsvg is intended as a component but its
nice to be able to test it and see what it can do.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group

SVGlogo-new.svg
(image/svg+xml attachment: SVGlogo-new.svg)