Re: Profiles in SVG 1.2

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:37:39 +0100
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Jim Ley wrote:
> I welcome profiling, but would still like to see an
> application/svg+xml - I don't make SVG images, I make SVG
> applications, and I'd like to ensure they end up with a viewer capable
> of rendering them.

If I read what you're saying correctly you'd like to have a way to tell
more or less the intent of an SVG document (application-orientated or
image-orientated) based on the mime type? There's overhead in that
(defining new file extensions, updating servers, etc), and even more
about defining proper profiles in the spec (as opposed to defining them
in the Shiny Donkey Consortium) instead of just advertising feature
strings (and thus indirectly conformance levels). Doing such work would
require a solid set of use cases. As nice as it is, I'm not entirely
buying the multiple SVG viewers with different capabilities one.

 > Alternatively I'd like to see RCC
 > etc. reformulated so it will simply degrade to valid static content
 > showing the same information in SVG 1.1 user agents - at the moment
 > that degrade path is onerous.

That is certainly a worthy goal, but do you have a plan for that?

--
Robin Berjon