Profiles in SVG 1.2

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:10:26 +0000 (UTC)
To: www-svg@w3.org

From changelog at http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20040226/
|Profiling: new section describing outlines for profiling SVG. This is
|the replacement for the Image and Application section in the previous
|draft.

The profiling section is solving completely different problems to the
Image/Application section, and is really only solving its issues from
an authoring, not accessing perspective.  There is still nothing in
SVG 1.2 that allows us to use different viewers with their differing
capabilities, SVG 1.2 seems to be focusing on a single viewer that can
do everything.  I feel it's important that we have a mechanism to
differentiate between viewers without first parsing the document.  I
don't believe there are any current systems for doing this, and whilst
image/ application/ split is not a perfect solution, it's at least a
simple to implement solution that will work today, and has proven
implementations.

I welcome profiling, but would still like to see an
application/svg+xml - I don't make SVG images, I make SVG
applications, and I'd like to ensure they end up with a viewer capable
of rendering them.  Alternatively I'd like to see RCC
etc. reformulated so it will simply degrade to valid static content
showing the same information in SVG 1.1 user agents - at the moment
that degrade path is onerous.

Cheers,

Jim.