Re: Third release of Constraint SVG browser

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:31:52 +0100
To: Cameron McCormack <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Robin Berjon:
>>So do I! I would very much like to see it implemented on top of SVG 1.2
>>instead of just Batik. Cameron should clamour for extension functions in
>>the XPath API :-D
>
> Yeah, that would be cool (the extension functions, if there were an
> interface to XPath from the DOM).  Maybe it would be best to wait for
> XSLT/XPath 2.0 for this, since you can define your own XPath functions
> in XSLT 2.0.  These specs are in final call now, I think.

Requiring XSLT 2.0 support seems very unlikely for SVG 1.2... it's a
massive spec :) But given that SVG 1.2 has DOM 3 XPath, and that most
XPath implementations have pluggable extensions (or at the very least a
table of functions), the addition of something exposing those along the
lines of:

    interface SVGXPathEvaluator : xpath::XPathEvaluator {
        void    registerFunction( in DOMString NamespaceURI,
                                  in DOMString FunctionName,
                                  in EventListener function );
    }

A listener taking an XPathResultList and returning an XPathResult would
cut it. Wouldn't you then have all you need to implement CSVG on top of
SVG 1.2?

--
Robin Berjon