SVG 1.2 - forcing a redraw?

From: Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:52:20 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi all,

With the current SVG viewers, a redraw during a script operation is not
possible. The UA updates the screen only after the whole script function
is finished. If you wanted to force a redraw, you would have to use
setTimeout and give the UA a bit time for redrawing, which is both not
very save (how much time does a UA need for redrawing) and not very
elegant, when it comes to programming.

Why would I want a "force redraw"? that's quite common with GUI
development. F.e. I want a selectionBox to close before the associated
callback function is called., so it does not look like the GUI does not
react if the callBack function takes a longer time. Also, if your script
takes a longer time (e.g. in my map example calculating a
profile/cross-section) I want to give feedback on the calculation and
tell the user about the progress of the calculation.

I wonder, with the SVG 1.2 spec enhancements, if it is possible to a
"force redraw" by script? In chapter 8 about "Progressive Rendering"
there seems to be a mechanism that allows a  "force-redraw" while
"force-redraw" mechanism is already in the UA? Could that method be
exposed, so we can call it from ECMA-Script?

Thanks for any info!

Andreas