Ambiguity in SVG 1.1 section 17.1 (Links out of SVG content: the 'a' element)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 01:22:53 +0000 (UTC)
To: www-svg@w3.org

In SVG 1.1, section 17.1 "Links out of SVG content: the 'a' element" [1],
the following sentence in paragraph 3 is quite confusing:

# A simple link is defined for each separate rendered element contained
# within the 'a' element

It isn't clear what a "separate rendered element" is, and it isn't clear
what it means for a simple link to be "defined" for such an element.

In particular, trying to write a test for the above, I couldn't work out
whether it meant that each <circle> in a <a> element would be focussed
individually, or if the focus would be on the <a> element itself. It also
isn't clear what the sequence of DOM events should be on that element, or
what event should have as its default action the following of the link. I
was also a little confused about whether <use> elements or <g> elements
were handled specially by the <a> element.

An normative errata item clarifying this would be very useful.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#Links