Re: Things I wanted to see in SVG 1.2, but aren't yet mentioned.

From: Thomas E Deweese <thomas.deweese@kodak.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 07:29:39 -0400
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

JL> "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org> wrote in message
>>  On Saturday, June 7, 2003, 4:50:16 PM, Jim wrote:
JL> Image size from the image...
>>  Does http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG12/#imageDOM start to address what
>> you want?

JL> Unfortunately not, as it will require scripting, and as you note
JL> there are other simpler ways of having sizes in PNG etc. - it
JL> should be a simple operation of including an image as it is with
JL> including an SVG image.

    I guess I don't follow you.  The 'image' element always requires a
w/h specification - it doesn't matter if the referenced content is
raster or SVG.  What do you want to happen? one pixel->one user space
unit? I know that some formats may provide 'real world' unit mappings
(which could be sensibly treated as CSS units) but what about images
that don't include this information?

    I guess I don't have a problem with requiring authors to say how
large they want the referenced content to appear in the document.  Why
is this an issue for you?  In most cases I can think of where this
might be an issue scripting would be a perfect solution.