Re: [svg-developers] scrollbars in SVG

Hi there,

On vendredi, avr 11, 2003, at 12:23 Europe/Paris, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Aac> The omission of automatic scroll bars in a desktop environment
> Aac> removes, wholly unnecessarily, a useful and powerful navigation
> Aac> metaphor in standalone SVG. If, as I understand it, some users
> Aac> wish not to have scroll bars (I don't recall having heard a
> Aac> convincing argument for that position) then by all means provide
> Aac> a switch to turn them off.
>
> Having seen implementations (not necessarily of SVG, but for example
> CGM) that *always* put up scrollbars and thus, are totally unsuitable
> for many uses of graphics, I think that not forcing them was the right
> decision.
>
> But it seems clear that people want control over the presentation.

I wholeheartedly agree with Chrsi here, enforcing scrollbars in all
cases would be a mistake. However it would be nice to provide authors a
mean to allow for scrollbars to automatically appear as needed, maybe
the "overflow" CSS property could be used here. I think there is room
in the specification [1] to allow for more usage of this property and
maybe add some wording that require user agents to provide scrollbars
for some value of "overflow" on <svg> elements, "scroll" is already
there and could well be leveraged.

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/masking.html#OverflowProperty
--
Antoine Quint <antoine.quint@fuchsia-design.com>
SVG Consultant & Research Engineer, Fuchsia Design (for hire!)