Re: 1.2 feedback: Streaming

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:53:42 +0100
To: Vadim Plessky <plessky@cnt.ru>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

Vadim Plessky wrote:
> What does make you thinking that TelCos would install high-speed equipemnt?
> There is a world-wide economy slowdown, and everyone trims fat to return
> companies to being profitable.

They'll invest because there's money to be made there. Consumers are still
buying. Making money is a good way of being profitable.

Out of the 400 million cell phones sold this year, circa 16 million are equiped
with a camera. That requires bandwidth. Japan and South Korea have a lot of
mobile phones that are as yet only dreams elsewhere but are bound to propagate
sooner or later.

So, the market is down. It'll come back up.

Besides, I wasn't talking about what is happening on the side of what is
produced and sold, I was talking about what was going on inside telecom standard
orgs, namely 3GPP. Moreover, I was talking about compression, ie a way of making
rich content available even without the fast network.

> |  I'd put that as the missing part. As yet (that I know of) there is too
> | little interest from content creators (but not complete disinterest -- some
> | are working on SVG for mobiles). I certainly hope that it changes soon (or
> | that I'm proven wrong).
>
> Why do you think that someone would be interested to make such tools?
> And other part (potential users/graphic artists) would pay for those tools?
> I doubt that next-generation content creator (supporting SVG) from Adobe or
> Corel would be free.

What tools? I've made a lot of SVG and have never needed tools from either of
those companies. Apart for movies -- and I don't think that's what was meant by
"animation" -- you don't need anything that you can't already get for free.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway