Re: Identical rendering? [was Re: SVG 1.2 General feedback]

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:13:13 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org
CC: Vadim Plessky <plessky@cnt.ru>

Vadim Plessky wrote:

> First I need to see SVG fonts,

You can get lots of free TTF fonts, then convert them to SVG Font via
Batik. It's a lot of fun.

> and second - renderer capable to handle them.

ASV (external files not yet supported), Batik, etc.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20011026/fonts-fontElement-BE-01-ps.html

See
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/BE-ImpStatus-20011026.html

> Majot font editors I am aware of (closed-source FontLab, and open-source
> PfaEdit) are not able to export SVG fonts.

use batik's ttf2svg

But sure, a native SVG Font editor would be great :)

... since SVG Font support *a lot* more than TTF: filters, animation etc
etc etc

> For example, it seems that Adobe SVG plugin (Windows) renders fonts on its
> own, ignoring Windows font rasterizer.
> While such approach may be ok for Adobe's graphics apps (PhotoShop,
> Illustrator), text at small sizes (8pt-12pt) in unreadable in such case

Use the renderung related properties to make small text readable.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/