RE: SVGLoad event.

Jon

This has been very informative to me...I can not speak Jim.

I think your example and description should be in a non-normative  section in the SVG 1.1 ...1.2....2.0 ? recommendation

We all learn by sharing what we know
Robert A. DiBlasi
http://www.svgnotebook.com
rdiblasi@svgnotebook.com
SVG User Group: Chicago IL. Chapter member

>>> "Jon Ferraiolo" <jon@ferraiolo.com> 11/05/02 09:43AM >>>

Jim,
Thanks for clarifying. It is absolutely true that there is some
confusion in the SVG specification in the conflict between the
progressive rendering requirement for Conforming High-Quality Dynamic
SVG Viewer and the definition of the 'SVGLoad' event, which says that
the event isn't fired until the target element for the SVGLoad event
listener is fully ready to render.

Here is the way to work through the confusion:

1) Conforming High-Quality Dynamic SVG Viewer must implement progressive
rendering and honor the externalResourcesRequired attribute, which can
be used to disable progressive rendering

2) Progressive rendering occurs as content is received unless
externalResourceRequired is set to true.

3) SVGLoad events will be dispatched on individual elements within the
file as these elements become fully parsed and ready to render. For
example, with a <g>, the SVGLoad event on that <g> occurs once you have
parsed the end element (</g>) and ready to progressively draw that <g>.
If you want to prevent progressive rendering from occurring on those
elements within the <g> before the <g> is fully parsed, then set
externalResourcesRequired=true.

4) Once the document is fully parsed and every element is ready to
render, then the SVGLoad event is fired on the outermost <svg> element

In other words, you can think of the SVGLoad event as just another thing
that happens along the way as progressive rendering occurs. For example,
take the following SVG file:

  [1] <svg>
  [2]   <g onload="...">
  [3]     <rect/>
  [4]     <circle/>
  [6] </svg>

Assuming your SVG viewer implemented every aspect of the language
completely and was programmed to update the screen after fully parsing
each particular element it encounters. Then, first a rectangle would be
drawn on the screen. Then the circle would be drawn. Then you reach the
</g> and the SVGLoad event would be fired on the <g>.

Does this help?

Jon

Of