Re: X11 Colors (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

From: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>

From: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Some people don't like the existing names and want to design a whole
new set. There have been no good proposals for how to do that. Its a
non-terminating thread, once you factor in fear of color theory at one
end and a desire to make color names, uniquely, not be in any human
language at the other end (hey! maybe HTML should add <tête> and
<corps> tags, for the French market? )

thanks for enlightening me. all is much more understandable now.

* i use color names as a memory aid. so i can remember the names of those
colors, that mainly fit my needs.
* i don't care if the colors are evenly  distributed.
* may be there is a set of color names that will better fit my needs. ok, i
am up for learning these new names if the benefit is big enough. but i don't
want to update all my existing svg documents. these color names are
something, what i would call a 'de facto standard'.

--
stefan goessner

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is. "
- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut