Re: New CSS3 Color Names (was Last call comments on CSS3 module: color)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:42:08 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org, "Benjamin D. Gray" <BDGray@uwyo.edu>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002, 10:57:40 PM, Benjamin wrote:

>>Steven Pemberton:

BDG> I like solution 2 from above:
>>2) Take a consistent naming scheme that properly addresses all
>> dimensions of the color space, and map this naming scheme
>> algorithmically to >appropriate colours. For instance:

BDG> with a few changes:
BDG> (most from
BDG> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002May/0143.html)

BDG> <lightness>::= extra-dark | dark | semi-dark | semi-light | light |
BDG>                extra-light | lighter | darker
BDG> <saturation>::= extra-dull | dull | semi-dull | semi-bright |
BDG>                 bright | extra-bright | duller | brighter
BDG> <transparency>::= opaque | semi-opaque | semi-transparent | transparent
BDG> <prime>::= red | green | blue | white | cyan | magenta | yellow | black
BDG> <general>::= navy | lime | teal | aqua | maroon | purple | fuchsia |
BDG> olive |
BDG>              gray | silver
BDG> <special>::= pink | brown | tan | orange | yellow-green | green-cyan |
BDG>              cyan-blue | blue-magenta | magenta-red | <possible others>

Thats an interesting start, but you do not say what the algorithm is
to convert these to colors nor show that they are evenly distributed,
which even the rough and unscientific list produced by Steven
convinced you of (he is right, the X11 names are unevenly distributed
in the perceptual gamut, but
http://www.cwi.nl/~steven/css/x11huegraph.html does not show that this
is the case).

Given your choice of hue names I am fairly sure that your selection is
not, in fact, evenly distributed but would need to see the algorithm
you propose in order to demonstrate this.