RE: The <use> element in SVG 1.2 / 2.0

From: Antoine Quint <antoine@graougraou.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:00:16 +0200
To: <svg-developers@yahoogroups.com>, <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi Andrew,

> In SVG 1.0 it is possible to apply transformations to a <use>
> element but not
> to differentially style one <use> from another (as far as I
> know) nor is it
> possible to animate a <use> element.

You can both style and animate <use> elements (see
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/23/svg/index.html). Did you mean
animate the actual referenced element instead?

One issue I see with the current <use> element is that it does not allow
referencing of animation elements which makes the reuse of animations a
bit tiresome. In my article I use entities to centralize attribute
values, which is just a hack. I know Kevin (obviously) has done a little
library to handle an extension element to copy animation elements, see
http://www.kevlindev.com/dom/animation/index.htm.

Antoine