The <use> element in SVG 1.2 / 2.0

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:01:24 EDT
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, www-svg@w3.org
I would like to suggest that the SVG WG look seriously at improving the
functionality of the <use> element in SVG 1.2 and/or 2.0.

In SVG 1.0 it is possible to apply transformations to a <use> element but not
to differentially style one <use> from another (as far as I know) nor is it
possible to animate a <use> element.

The ability to re-use visual components is important. To be able to style,
animate and script such visual components would be a significant improvement
over the functionality in SVG 1.0.

The problems, as I understand them, arise at least in part due to the fact
that a <use> element's children are not part of the DOM tree. Can we have an
include mechanism so that each instance of a referenced symbol etc can be
part of the DOM and accessible in the normal way?

Andrew Watt