W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-svg@w3.org > June 2002

Re: Accessibility access to SVG

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:35:31 -0000
Message-ID: <00cc01c211fc$e0bb5780$ca969dc3@emedia.co.uk>
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

<DPawson@rnib.org.uk>

> ASV3, IE6, the content is totally unrecognised,
> obviously no dom access, as achieved with html files.
>  Something for Adobe to think about?

With ASV, IE5, Snufkin exposing the contents, my JfW 3.7U  (the freebie
trial one that is now out of date...) I can get the content read to me,
well I got the titles read to me, I didn't bother playing further with
Snufkin to expose other bits, but I'm sure it's no trouble.

I also wrote some time ago, this bookmarklet:
javascript:scr=document.createElement('iframe');document.body.appendChild
(scr);scr.setAttribute('src',"http://jibbering.com/2002/4/talk.html?"+new
Date().valueOf());void 0

which with IE+ASV+Microsoft Agent+Genie , and the file (only work with
pages on jibbering.com because of security by default,
http://jibbering.com/2002/4/foafsnapshot.svg is suitable for testing.)
which will speak titles and descriptions, extending to also be text is
relatively trivial.

As Dave notes though the problem is with the relationship between
objects, linear text isn't always useful.

Testing Deans svg to html service:

com.jclark.xsl.om.XSLException: no such prefix "xlink"

with <svg ... ><a xlink:href="mailto:jim@jibbering.com"><image id="img"
clip-path="url(#ref0)" opacity="0.5" width="493" height="655" x="0" y="0"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
xlink:href="http://jibbering.com/dinner/Jbeer.jpg"> </svg>

so the xlink ns isn't defined on the route, it's defined on the a
attribute it fails, moving it also to the root element it works, but I
get

JimJim with Beer SVGDoc=null function init(evt) { SVGDoc =
evt.getTarget().getOwnerDocument(); path=SVGDoc.getElementById('path')
img=SVGDoc.getElementById('img') i=path.getBBox()
img.setAttribute("transform","translate(-"+i.x+', -'+i.y+")") }

With the Title and Desc squashed together and the script chucked in.

The resulting HTML also has lang="en" regardless of the language of the
source document (and as it's often TTS engines which utilise this - it's
probably relevant, it also "should not" be being served as text/html as
it doesn't follow xhtml 1 Appendix C guidelines...)

I don't think XSL is particularly the way to go to make SVG accessible to
non-visual UA's as one of the requirements of SVG is that they have
ECMAScript capability - this encourages users to add or modify content
with script, which XSL is never going to achieve.

Thanks for working on it  though:  I'll remind readers of :
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/ .

Cheers,

Jim.
Received on Wednesday, 12 June 2002 06:38:16 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 8 March 2013 15:54:22 GMT