Re: Appendix G. 12 in SVG 1.1

Hi Jim,

On Tue, 02 Jul 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

> I'm finding it very difficult to understand G. 12  At first reading it
> seems to be saying that I cannot create my own FPI:
>
> -//JimLey//DTD SVG nothing to do with W3s SVG//EN
>
> but I don't believe it is possible for the spec to say this.  So it's
> presumably only talking about documents that contain the SVG 1.1 modules,
> but isn't clear.  Is it possible to make this clearer?

You're right, we can't stop anyone using the string "SVG" as
the first thing in their own FPI. As you suggest, we are just saying
that SVG Host Language documents should start with "SVG", but the
other W3C SVG document types should not. I'll try to make this clearer.

Actually this text is lifted from XHTML Modularization, so I guess
they may have the same problem.

> The example at
> the end of G. 12 doesn't even match the prose (which says use a version
> number) which doesn't help the confusion.

Whoops! Yes, they are very wrong.

Dean