Text Selection and Pointer-Events

From: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:57:32 -0400
To: <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi-

An interesting point was raised on the Adobe SVG forums, per pointer-events
and text. The Adobe viewer (correctly, I believe) turns off text-selection
when pointer-events on a text element is set to 'none.' There are
circumstances when I would like to differentiate between these properties --
that is, when I would like to turn off click events, but permit text
selection, or vice versa. I think that adding this functionality would be
very useful.

I noticed that the Reqs also mentions the possibility of the explicit
selection of graphical elements; I think this separation of pointer-events
from selection events makes sense here as well.

To take this just a bit farther, I can also see the utility in using the
pointer-events property to toggle individual event sensitivity. In a
situation where I have a nested element whose parent has a mouseover event,
I might like to ignore this event on a given child element. Allowing this
degree of control over the event model might allow for more syntactically
rich organization of the SVG while still preserving the relevant event
model. Just a thought -- the separation of selection from other
pointer-events seems much more plausible at first.

Thanks-
-Doug
---