Re[2]: SVG Schema: URL for XMLSchema.dtd ?

On Wednesday, January 16, 2002, 2:42:38 PM, Dean wrote:

DJ> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Tobias Reif wrote:

>> Hi;
>>
>> in the doctype of the SVG 1.1 Schema, there is
>> <!DOCTYPE schema SYSTEM "XMLSchema.dtd"
>> .
>>
>> Which version if the XMLSchema.dtd is referenced here?

DJ> THe one in the same directory as the schema.
DJ> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-SVG11-20020108/XMLSchema.dtd

DJ> This is in fact the standard one, from http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.dtd
DJ> (WARNING: this is off the top of my head and is probably the
DJ> wrong location - check the schema spec).

>> Is there a normative DTD for W3C Schema, or should a Schema be used to
>> validate schemas?

DJ> Yes :)

DJ> OK, seriously, yes and yes.

>> Would it make sense to change the doctype of the SVG 1.1 to reference a
>> public definition, via http, to resolve all this, so that
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "[...]"
>>  "http://www.w3.org/[.xsd or .dtd]">

DJ> The Doctype of SVG 1.1 will change. We hope to provide a normative
DJ> schema and possibly a non-normative DTD (unless my memory is
DJ> fooling me).

DJ> I guess it will be something like

DJ> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
DJ>   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
DJ>   xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/svg">

Something like that... although the schema is unlikely to reside at
the namespace URI. However, an emerging technology called RDDL means
that it should be possible to find DTDs, Schemas, and other useful
stuff about SVG by going to the SVG namespace URL. Updating the
current namespace placeholder to be RDDL is on my 'to-do' list.

http://www.rddl.org