Re: proposal for this link/tspan discussion

Jim Ley wrote:

>>I'd like to see those attributes replaced with "ref".
>
> XAG says use XLINK because it means XML applications without specific
> namespace awareness can recognise that it is a link.

also check
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/XLink

> I'm undecided if
> it's a good thing that these applications will no longer be able to know
> that <image ref="somedocument.svg">  refers to another svg document or
> not.

Yes,

   <image xlink:href="http://w3.org" ref="w3.png"/>

looks dubious to me.

It's also problematic since in the XLink spec, they view one element and
it's contents as one link:

   <my:crossReference
     xmlns:my="http://example.com/"
     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
     xlink:type="simple"
     xlink:href="students.xml"
     xlink:role="http://www.example.com/linkprops/studentlist"
     xlink:title="Student List"
     xlink:show="new"
     xlink:actuate="onRequest">
     Current List of Students
   </my:crossReference>

So

defimitely looks cleaner to me.

Perhaps src etc? What to use for <animate/> etc? Dean? :)

I find the current model quite flexible and clean.

> * Is there some convention for writing elements, I don't like saying
> <desc> element, as that's a tag, not an element,

perhaps either
   <desc/>
or
   desc element
.

> I capitalise in HTML,
> but as we're case sensitive that's a problem...

The current version of HTML is XHTML, which is lowercase and obviously
case-sensitive as well.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/