color names in SVG-1.0 conflict with /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt

From: John Ellson <ellson@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:29:28 -0400
To: www-svg@w3.org, XFree86@XFree86.org
I'm not sure who is "right" but there are a few conflicts
between the color values in SVG-1.0 and in X11 as represented
in /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt from XFree86.

SVG colors are descibed in <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/types.html>

Specifically I found the following conflicts:

	          SVG-1.0           X11

	gray   128 128 128       190 190 190
	grey   128 128 128       190 190 190
	green    0 128   0         0 255   0
	maroon 128   0   0       176  48  96
	purple 128   0 128       160  32 240

The most serious of these conflicts, it seems to me, is
the meaning of "green" since green is a primary color
in the RGB color space.

Can you advise on how these conflicts should be resolved?

Perhaps W3C and XFree86 could establish a joint standard?

John Ellson