Re: SVG>gif>text browser survey for: object vs embed?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 06:58:08 -0500 (EST)
To: jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
cc: <www-svg@w3.org>, <www-amaya-dev@w3.org>
Amaya 5.2 Broken image
iCab 2.6 spinning earth
Opera 5.0b3.393 source XML

Amaya 5.2 circle.svg
iCab2.6 nothing
Opera 5.0b3.393 source XML

All on Mac OS X.1.1, no plugins

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, jonathan chetwynd wrote:

  So far I estimate ~50% successful degradation by browser type, with object
  slightly pulling ahead of embed, and lynx, mozilla and IE6 behaving well,
  running alongside is amaya improving?

  Could I have further contributions particularly for
  apple: ie, nn, icab
  linux: opera, nn6,
  no plugins..
  any others?

  How do we feel these two examples* demonstrate that SVG successfully degrades
  in a range of browsers? Please note possible inadequacies are highlighted in

  embedsvg.html is linked from it.

  Does the code need a tweak? please tell me.

  Does anyone have other examples demonstrating perhaps:
  more complex but successful degradations of SVG?
  allowing users to trigger events via the keyboard as well as the mouse?

  Are we communicating sufficiently well between groups? comments please

  please excuse cross-posting