Renderiing filters

From: Thomas E Deweese <thomas.deweese@kodak.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:31:18 -0400
To: Sigurd Lerstad <sigler@bredband.no>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

SL> I'm wondering what the intended/recommended way (if there is such
SL> a thing) to render elements that have a style="filter:#..." on
SL> them

    Correctly :)

SL> My question is:

SL> Should I process the filters in an untransformed coordinate-system
SL> (I mean, the X axis is horizontal and the Y-axis is vertical) and
SL> then transform the final/resulting image into the other coordinate
SL> system (easier for most filters, especially the gaussianBlur), but
SL> quality will suffer, and makes it harder with
SL> BackgroundGraphic/BackgroundAlpha

SL> OR

SL> Should I process the filters in the correct coordinate system from
SL> the start (might be difficult for some filters), but quality will
SL> be high

    For some transforms one way makes sense for some the other makes
sense.  I would suggest that if you are doing the filter in an
untransformed coordinate system and later transforming that to the
device, you should use a fairly high quality implementation of affine
transform to do the mapping, you should also take care to scale the
untransformed coordinate system properly.