SVG vs. VML

From: Alan Clark <aclark@selectica.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 19:03:48 -0700
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
I am currently looking into implementing a vector graphics solution that
will be supported by all web browsers.

I was initially looking into using Vector Markup Language as a means of
accomplishing this task.  Through my research I have not found much support
for VML rendering engines other than Microsoft's implementation within IE5.

As I was looking for Plug-In based solutions for other browsers I came
across the SVG efforts.

I am trying to get a grasp on which direction I should ultimately go.

My questions are:

1) Is it true statement that SVG   WILL   become the standard for vector
graphics on the web??

2) What is the approx. date that SVG or VML will be approved as an official
standard?

3) Is SVG essentially a superset of the VML specification?  (i.e. SVG can
define much more detailed graphical content than VML)

Thanks,
Alan Clark
Selectica