Re: What is wrong with SVG?

From: Stefan Haustein <haustein@kimo.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:45:03 +0100
To: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@adobe.com>
CC: donpark@docuverse.com, xml-dev@xml.org, www-svg@w3.org, "'Arnold, Curt'" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> We didn't consider the above alternative. Instead, the two main approaches
> we looked at were the VML approach (like what SVG has now) and PGML, which
> used a "full" XML approach, such as:
>
>     <path>
>       <moveto x="100" y="200"/>
>       <curveto x1="133.67" y1="217.00" etc. />
>
> The PGML example mapped directly to convenient DOM access and mapped well
> with XSLT, but we felt the size of PGML files and the size of the PGML DOM
> were unacceptable.

It wouldn't help for the DOM size, but couldn't the XML files be
compressed by far using WAP Binary XML?

My main problem with the <path d="..."/> approach is that
there are some path elements like arcs that have no "real"
XML equivalent. I can use <line ... /> instead of "l",
but there is no element for drawing arcs (AFAIK).

Best regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Haustein