Re: Compression was: What is wrong with SVG?

From: Christian Mayer <Vader@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:07:01 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
> From: Dominik Lenné (dominik.lenne@uumail.de)
>
> > From: Jon Ferraiolo
> > 3) Observation that compression techniques (e.g., gzip) on verbose
> > syntaxes
> > or path data didn't yield much additional compression versus compact
> > syntaxes. In other words, a verbose syntax does NOT get compressed away by
> > gzip.
>
> As lossless data compression means exploiting background information on the
> subspace of which a given data string stems, the most efficient algorithm
> would be an SVG-specific one. With such a file type - specific compression,
> which for example could treat appropriately html, svg, javascript etc.
> subparts of a document, such differences in compression rate should become
> marginal.
>
> Are there plans to develop such a thing?
> Maybe this is not exactly the right mailing list for this idea.(?)

I'd really like such a compression algorithm. But I think that all XML
data would profit from one and thus I think there should be only one
algorithm for the whole XML (but one that gets supported by all XML
readers, editors, ...).

cf. my post on
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-query-comments/2000Jun/

CU,