RE: Compression was: What is wrong with SVG?

> From:	Vader@t-online.de [SMTP:Vader@t-online.de]
>
> I'd really like such a compression algorithm. But I think that all XML
> data would profit from one and thus I think there should be only one
> algorithm for the whole XML (but one that gets supported by all XML
> readers, editors, ...).

	[DJW:]  Compression is already present in the web, although
	maybe not as well supported as it might be; it is considered
	the role of HTTP, not HTML or XML (including SVG), although
	images have traditionally been compressed, bur probably
	for historical reasons (Compuserve, disk space, and the fact that
	you cannot edit them as text, anyway).

	Incidentally, the easiest way of getting good deflation with
	something like SVG would be to implicitly prefix the file
	with a training set of SVG, and remove the result of compressing
	this from the data transmitted.  This would break the layering,
	that I mentioned above, and would therefore, in my view, be
	undesirable. (deflate encodes the distance back to
	a previous occurrence of s astring and the length of that string.)