Re: Zooming without font resize

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 07:04:18 -0700
To: Justin Friedl <justin.friedl@aspentech.com>
Cc: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
At 06:53 PM 6/8/00 -0400, Justin Friedl wrote:
>*
>PS I'm only zooming horizontally not vertically.

Justin,
I am not sure what you mean here. SVG assumes that there is a uniform scale
factor on both X and Y when the user zooms in on the drawing using some
sort of user interface device such as a mouse. (This assumption allows
script writers to check a single value in the DOM to check the zoom level
so that they easily make things appear and disappear based on zoom level.)

If you want non-uniform scaling, then you need to manually adjust
transformation using scripting.

But to answer your original question, according to the March 3 spec (see
sections 7.10 Units, 7.11 Redefining the meaning of CSS unit specifiers and
16.6 Zooming, panning and magnification), if you set 'font-size' to a value
that has a unit identifier, such as "12pt", then the fonts are supposed to
stay at 12pt no matter what the zoom factor is. I am pretty sure that the
latest Adobe SVG Viewer supports this feature. (I'm not sure about the
other viewers.)

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated