Re: CSS Units

Per,

At 11:07 AM 1/28/00 +0100, Per Thygesen wrote:
>I can not quite understand the relationship between CSS units and
>transforms...
>
>1)
>Will the following svg generate a 1cm square, or a 2 cm square ?
>I think it should be a 1 cm square, as the CSS units specify units in
>the viewport space,
>but the IBM viewer shows a 2 cm square, and the CSIRO viewer can not
>display it.
>
>     <g transform="scale(2)">
>       <rect x="1cm" y="1cm" width="1cm" height="1cm" />
>     </g>

Absolutely, if you say the width should be 1cm and the height should be
1cm, then you should get a 1cm square.

>2)
>In "7.12 Processing rules..." each paragraph ends with "and use that as
>the value for the given operation".
>What operation ?

I'll review this wording and see what I can do about clarifying this. Maybe
something like "and use that as the value for the given attribute or
property".

>3)
>The examples in the draft are very good, but I miss an example which
>shows multiple viewports,
>multiple user spaces and multiple use of different units.

Gulp. Each example is a huge time sink for all involved. But, yes, it
appears that examples would be extremely useful for this area of the spec,
where the concepts are particularly complex and obscure.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated