Problems viewing SVG files in XML viewers

From: David Naylor <naylor@pcc.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:03:18 -0600
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Cc: "David Naylor" <naylor@eecs.uic.edu>
This problem may have been addressed previously, but I cannot find any
reference to it in the archives.

I have been trying to use several of the available XML editors and viewers
to edit and view SVG files and seem to find a common problem among them all.

When trying to open an SVG file in XML Spy I obtain the error message:

	The element 'svg' is used but not declared in the DTD/Schema

The SVG file starts out:
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 12August 1999//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-19990812.dtd">

When trying to open an SVG file in Microsoft's XML Notepad I obtain the
identical error message.

When I use the IBM alphaworks XMLViewer the message in the Log Window is

	Element "<svg>" is not valid because it does not follow the rule,

"(defs?,desc?,title?,(path|text|rect|circle|ellipse|line|polyline|polygon|us
e|image|svg|g|switch|a)*)".

I have this problem not only with svg files produced by a beta SVG Export
Plug-In, but also with example SVG files downloaded from
	http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-SVG-19991203/struct.html

Is there something that I am missing here. As far as I can tell, all these
XML viewers are having a problem with the SVG DTD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Naylor
naylor@eecs.uic.edu

David Naylor
Associate Professor
Director, Interactive Systems Laboratory
University of Illinois at Chicago
[http://www.isl.uic.edu]
(312) 996-6010 fax: (312) 413-0024