Re: text wrap

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:58:32 +0100
To: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>
CC: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>

"Pawson, David" wrote:

>  Jon Ferraiolo  wrote:
> >There have been numerous requests for this feature. Unfortunately, it
> >doesn't look like it is going to happen with SVG 1.0. The SVG
> >working group
> >decided against this feature for SVG 1.0 very early when we were
> >identifying the graphics feature set for the upcoming
> >language. One reason
> >is that XHTML/CSS/XSL do word wrap
> <snip/>
>
> Thanks for the reply Jon.
> XSL is not much good here with todays implementations.
> CSS does word wrap?
> CSS2?

CSS1 and CSS2 and XSL all use a nested box, flow layout model.

> or by setting miniscule margins/big padding?

Margins and padding are not the issue here.

> XHTML? No different from SVG surely?

Not sure what comparison is being made here. XHTML does not define a layout
model. SVG does, because it uses the other machinery of style languages
(selectors/patterns, cascading, inheritance, properties) but needs a
different rendering model.

> OK, will it be in SVG 1.1?

Why, when it is already in CSS1? However, CSS3 is likely to introduce a
property which switches the rendering model - box/area, svg, math, none -
so that a mixture of flowed text and graphics can be styled.

> Also, a request to viewer developers.
> In HTML, when I have an image with alt text, it shows
> when the mouse hovers over it.

In some UAs, and when there is no title text. But yes.

> The desc and title elements on the IBM viewer appear unused.
> Is this the case? How might they be handled?

For graphical, visual styling of SVG, the title might be used as a tooltip
and the spec suggests this. However, there elements are more useful for
exploring a graphic in other presentational modes, or for searching and
indexing.

> ps. Nice job folks. I'm having fun with it.
> Are you interested in general comments re the wd?

Yes, we are.

--
Chris