Re: Rotating Text in http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-SVG-20000802/text.html

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:45:03 -0700
To: "chris elliott" <cje2@biolpc22.york.ac.uk>
Cc: <www-svg@w3.org>
Chris,
What really happens in SVG is that the coordinate system gets rotated
first, and then the text is rendered into the new coordinate system.

Thus,

<text x="0" y="0" transform="rotate(30)">Rotated text</text>

is equivalent to:

<g transform="rotate(30)">
   <text x="0" y="0">Rotated text</text>
</g>

Think of the X and Y axes rotating about the origin by 30 degrees
clockwise. Tilt your head by 30 degrees also to line up with these new
axes, and then render the text at the (0,0) point in this new coordinate
system. The text is rendered upright relative to the new, rotated
coordinate system.

For normal European text, text is positioned such that the left edge of the
first glyph is placed at the coordinate specified by the 'x' attribute, and
the Roman/alphabetic baseline of the glyph is placed at the coordinate
specified by the 'y' attribute, where 'x' and 'y' are in the new, rotated
coordinate system.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG Editor
Adobe Systems Incorporated