Re: Missing angle def in DTD

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:54:31 +0200
To: "Alexander J. Vincent" <ajvincent@hotmail.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

"Alexander J. Vincent" wrote:

> I was just looking over the DTD (Appendix A) in the SVG candidate
> recommendation, and I noticed the word "angle" was just used three times.
> None of them in defining the <angle> tag, as mentioned at the beginning of
> Chapter 4, section 1.

There is no angle tag. What you see in chapter 4.1 is a definition of a
datatype, which means that whenever you see the string <angle> you should
actually use an angle, such as 45deg

I appreciate that the use of angle brackets might be confusing, leading you
to believe that this  is an xml element. But the string "<angle>" never
shows up in the actual SVG file; just examples of actual angles, like 90deg
and 100rad and so on

> I wondered if the data types in general were not
> defined, but I quickly found <length> and <coordinate> defined.

You found parameter entities, which are sort of like macros, and in this
case expand to 'CDATA' which is how XML 1.0 defines a string. They are
there because it makes it easier for an XML Schema, generated from the DTD,
to add datatype support.

--
Chris