Re: urgent question

Chris Lilley wrote:

> Sebastian Hagen wrote:
> >
> > I am searching for a svg-viewer, which is capable of displaying animations.
> > Is there a viewer, wich can do that,  somewhere on the web, that you know
> > of. I would be very thankful if you
> > can help me out.
>
> So far there hasn't been a viewer released to the public which can do
> either DOM animation (in JavaScript or Java) or which can do
> declarative, SYMM animation.
>
> Both of these pretty much require an XML DOM[1], and most of the viewers
> are using an XML parser which does provide a W3C-compliant DOM 1
> implementation, so the foundations are there - it is just a case of
> adding it.
>
> The CSIRO viewer comes with source, and the new version has moved to the
> IBM XML4J parser which includes a W3C-compliant DOM 1 implementation so,
> if you feel inspired, you could look at adding this functionality and
> contributing it back to this project.

I'll add to this that Gill is very much DOM-centric, using Gdome, the
Gnome DOM Engine.

We've been trying to go even further in embracing these standards, by
making basing rendering on a Model/View system using DOM 2 events to
intermediate the events and listeners. However, I've found some
technical flaws in the current DOM 2 draft that make it not really
suitable for implementing the Model/View pattern. This is one of the
things that's holding back Gill's rapid progress (the other major one
being my thesis crunch). My discussion with the DOM working group is on
the w3c dom mailing list archive.

Nonetheless, draft DOM 2 events are what's being used in Gill, and it
does use that mechanism for interactive manipulation of the DOM. It
wouldn't be too hard to hook it up to a high quality JavaScript
implementation. If the DOM working group doesn't fix events, then I'm
going to do my own "core" event system with better event propagation,
but it's still going to be DOM 1 compatible.

> [1] In the first case, it is required so the document author can program
> the animation; in the second case, it is clearly the easiest way for the
> viewer author to implement the declarative animation support.

Agreed. Trying to do SYYM animations without the DOM is probably a waste
of time.

Raph