Re: Possible to embed pixmaps in svg files?

Chris wrote:
> That and the increase in cache pollution with multiple, non-reusable
> copies of images.

CSS leaves that to the information providers.  I still
don't see why SVG cannot do the same (mechanisms,
not policy, remember?).

(after all, the web is full of multiple copies of stuff
these days...)

> > I sometimes think the main idea behing SVG is to
> > ship things over a network, not to store it on a
> > local disk (things like DICOM comes to mind...).
>
> That being why it is being developed at W3C <smile> but on the other
> hand, I do have a bunch of SVG on my local disks that seems to work
> fine.

oh, sure.  after all, things are a bit better than
pre-3.0 DICOM, since all parts of a multifile SVG
have well-defined file formats :-)

> Not in this instance. However, some possibilities for acheiving "all in
> one file":
>
> a) lobby implementers to support the data: URL type

is this a spec that I've missed?

> b) zip a directory containing the SVG, any external stylesheets,
> and any required raster images

only works if all the major SVG tool providers
implement this.  will they?

</F>