Re: Possible to embed pixmaps in svg files?

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Jan Aarsaether <jaa@metis.no> wrote:
> > I just joined this list. I've looked at the log of this list, but
> > could not find any answer to my question.
>
> iirc, this has been discussed before, and at least
> at that time, the W3C response was "forget it"...
>
> (by some reason, the extra 33% that base64-
> encoding adds seems to be a showstopper to
> some...)

That and the increase in cache pollution with multiple, non-reusable
copies of images.

> > If so, could anybody direct me to some documentation on this or even
> > better, some examples? If not, it would be helpful if somebody could
> > verify that this is a (current) limitation in svg and perhaps inform
> > me of any future plans to implement include such functionality.
>
> I sometimes think the main idea behing SVG is to
> ship things over a network, not to store it on a
> local disk (things like DICOM comes to mind...).

That being why it is being developed at W3C <smile> but on the other
hand, I do have a bunch of SVG on my local disks that seems to work
fine.

> on the other hand, several major players in the
> graphics applications arena has announced that
> they'll support SVG in a near future.  could be
> interesting to learn how they are addressing
> this little problem...
>
> (and maybe chris's time machine is still working.
> the last time I brought something up, it was al-
> ready in the spec! ;-)

Not in this instance. However, some possibilities for acheiving "all in
one file":

a) lobby implementers to support the data: URL type
b) zip a directory containing the SVG, any external stylesheets, and any
required raster images

--
Chris