Re: Possible to embed pixmaps in svg files?

Jan Aarsaether <jaa@metis.no> wrote:
> I just joined this list. I've looked at the log of this list, but
> could not find any answer to my question.

iirc, this has been discussed before, and at least
at that time, the W3C response was "forget it"...

(by some reason, the extra 33% that base64-
encoding adds seems to be a showstopper to
some...)

> If so, could anybody direct me to some documentation on this or even
> better, some examples? If not, it would be helpful if somebody could
> verify that this is a (current) limitation in svg and perhaps inform
> me of any future plans to implement include such functionality.

I sometimes think the main idea behing SVG is to
ship things over a network, not to store it on a
local disk (things like DICOM comes to mind...).

on the other hand, several major players in the
graphics applications arena has announced that
they'll support SVG in a near future.  could be
interesting to learn how they are addressing
this little problem...

(and maybe chris's time machine is still working.
the last time I brought something up, it was al-
ready in the spec! ;-)

</F>