Re: CSIRO SVG Viewer 0.8 (basic colors and linking)

Jan Aarsaether wrote:

> Ross Ackland wrote:
>
> > KAMTHAN pankaj wrote:
> > > 1. It seems the 16 basic SVG colours are not supported by their
> > > names (black, gray, etc.).
> >
> > Colors defined by names should be fine, red, navy, blue, black
> > etc...
>
> Where can I find a complete list of the (16?) basic colors in SVG?

They came from CSS (which got them from HTML, which got them from the
VGA color set I believe). Yes, there are 16 named colors.

See

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#value-def-color

You can also specify colors as #accdef, or #19a - the latter form
doubles up the digits (so that 0 maps to 00 and f maps to ff and thus
the entire range is covered, so the example given is the same as
#1199aa)

For those folks who like to believe in "Web safe" colors, note that any
three-digit color which only uses the values 0, 3, 6, 9, c and f is a
"Web safe" color: #3c6, for example.

Colors can also be given as floats (for historical reasons, these are
given as percentages, where 0% = 00, 100% = FF, and both negative and
more-than-100% valies are allowed. Theis enables any visible color to be
specified, even if it is outside the directly displayable gamut of sRGB.
This allows, for example, correct colors for logos, etc to be specified
and to be printed correctly (if theyare printable colors) and
approximated with the closest displayable color.

There seems to be interest in adding the set of X11 "rgb.txt" named
colors -things with names like "papaya whip" - which are supported in
many existing HTML and SVG implementations and will likely turn up as
part of CSS3.

Lastly CSS defines some "system colors" that match various features of
the user interface - there may be useful in some applications,
particularly interactive form controls.

See:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ui.html#system-colors

--