template objects/paths as formulas

From: Andrew Wooldridge <andreww@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:39:13 -0800
To: svg <www-svg@w3.org>
It would be nice - I think - if there was a way to use some kind of
mathematical shorthand for building template objects.

What I mean is in section 4.3 you talk about using DEF's to define
objects that arent drawn when defined.
You have a shorthand for doing paths.

Perhaps another way to describe what I mean is instead of defining a
path via a set of points and movetos/linetos I instead specify a
"formula" which the engine knows to transform into path data.

something like:

<path d="x:2x*y;y:y+x">

or something.

I could easily see perhaps using javascript here where:

<path d="javascript:foo()">

where foo() returns a string containing all the linetos movetos, etc.

- Andrew Wooldridge    -     Opinions expressed are my own -
- andreww@netscape.com -     http://people.netscape.com/andreww/
- my Q: 11111          -     my ICQ: 6345881