Re: Pieslice

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:15:43 -0800
To: "Duncanson, Ian (Ex AS01)" <IDuncans@honeywell.com.au>
Cc: "'www-svg@w3.org'" <www-svg@w3.org>
At 10:18 AM 2/24/99 +1100, Duncanson, Ian (Ex AS01) wrote:
>Is it envisaged that the <pieslice/> shape will be able to be specified as
>an arc or a wedge (i.e. closed or not closed)?

What do you think?

The working group welcomes all suggestions about the advisability and exact
feature set for vector graphics shapes (Chapter 12 in current spec) such as
<pieslice/>. Some members of the working group take the position that we
shouldn't have higher-level vector graphics shapes such as <pieslice/>.
<pieslice/>, in particular, is probably the weakest candidate in list
because it probably would have the least usage. (It is unlikely that
<pieslice/> would offer the exact behavior people need and thus people will
be likely to just define a <path> with an arc instead.)

Incidentally, my thinking is that if we put in <pieslice/> it would always
be a closed shape (i.e., three "sides": two segments starting from the
center point shooting off at <startangle> and <endangle>, respectively, and
an arc connecting the two segments).

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Member SVG working group