Re: SVG suggestions (geoinformation)

From: Michael Gould <gould@inf.uji.es>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:53:52 +0200
To: "Jon Ferraiolo" <jferraio@Adobe.COM>
Cc: <www-svg@w3.org>

Thanks for the details. Obviously most of what we're looking for is in the
July 30 spec...somewhere!

Regarding the global coordinate system:

> >[One thing the GI community could contribute, if sufficient interest
> >is a hierarchical triangle-based coordinate system for the entire globe:
> >saves space and eliminates lots of projection and datum problems. Uses a
> >quadtree and stores not only position but also resolution.]
> This sounds very interesting! How can the SVG team learn more about this?
> Pardon my personal ignorance. Is there a textbook or a URL that you can
> provide which describes this coordinate system?

...I have made the developer of this system aware of your interest, and he
will likely contact the SVG group.

 Michael Gould
 Departamento de Informatica
 Universitat Jaume I