Re: Recursive structures and conditional rendering

From: Tony Durham <tdurham@timeshigher1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 18:25:51 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org
I wasn't expecting my suggestion to be written into the SVG spec verbatim
within 24 hours, but I thought there might at least be some response. Would
anyone care to say (by private email if necessary) which of the following,
in your opinion, applies:

- it's way off the SVG roadmap, like 3D
- cool idea but let's leave that stuff for SVG 2.0
- why would anyone want a feature like that?
- it's a sexy feature but us implementers prefer a quiet life
- it's unnecessary, all those things can already be done in SVG
- don't understand the proposal, please explain

I do think there is an issue here, because the standard must either permit
recursion (in which case it should also include what is necessary to make
recursion safe and efficient) or it must (sadly) forbid recursion. Is that
what the rule on forward references was intended to achieve?

Tony Durham
Digital Editor
The Times Higher Education Supplement
Admiral House, 66-68 East Smithfield