Re: Extension to 3D

Flow Simulation wrote:

> I know SVG is intended as a 2D standard, and that
> there are 3D XML proposals in existence.   But has any
> thought been given to allowing for the possibility that
> SVG be extended to 3D at some point in the future?

That is not a design requirement, no.

Basically, to do a 3D grammar one looks at very different requirements
and models  different things from in 2D. Its not just a case of adding a
third coordinate ;-)

Its also noteworthy that there are very few, if any, 2D illustration
packages that succesfully "went to 3D" and equally few that went from 3D
to add a 2D mode.

> Is the view that 3D is so far outside the scope of SVG that it will never
> happen,

Yes, pretty much

> or is 3D part of the roadmap?

It would be possible to use SVG as a vector texture format in some 3D
grammar, if anyone cared to write it.

--
Chris