Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:03 PM, OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Tadeus,
>
> The same could be said to you.  Could you please cite some legibility
> or typographic material in support for the change?

Others have mentioned that since the olden days typography uses the
new behavior, haven't they?

> Either way, it's
> technically an opinion.  I prefer the other style (the old way).  I
> can't get used to the new change and personally think it's wrong.

Then, what Myles suggested about using a user-defined stylesheet is
correct.  You can use that facility to have any underline be rendered
in the way that you like it to be, no?

> However, since underlining has worked the way it has for so long, why
> is the default being changed?

Because the way typography has always worked.

> The configurable option should be
> enough to allow people to choose the way they'd like for it to be
> styled.

Again Myles is correct.  The new behavior is not forced on you since
you can choose to have the old behavior back through the user-defined
stylesheet facility.

> More choice is good, but changing the way it's worked for so long is a
> bad idea in my opinion.

I like the new behavior.  So, it is not a bad idea after all.

--
Best regards,
Tadeus