Re: text-decoration-skip-ink auto should continue past behavior - 30+ years of underline behavior changed by latest CSS draft

> On Feb 21, 2018, at 9:22 AM, Myles C. Maxfield <mmaxfield@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 21, 2018, at 7:33 AM, OwN-3m-All <own3mall@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I initially thought this was a problem with Chrome (since they seem to
>> be one of the early adopters - bug report here:
>> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=813256#c2), but
>> now that I've seen the actual spec, I'm shocked that the auto value
>> for the text-decoration-skip-ink property is to change the way
>> underlined text has worked since the beginning of computers!
>
> Yep. This change is intentional.
>

>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-decor-4/#text-decoration-skip-ink-property
>>
>> Underlined text should always have the line over all characters.
>
> Nope. This is how computers have historically rendered text. However, historically, most high-typographic-quality examples which include underlines make the underlines skip over the descenders.

Or, stated differently, underlines cross descenders in existing software because it was convenient for software authors writing code. However, we’ve done research in underlines through the ages (way before computers were invented) and the best typographical samples always use skipping underlines. This is a situation where changing behavior on the Web doesn’t break content and automatically improves typography for everyone. (And it has an opt-out mechanism if for some reason you don’t like good typography.)