Re: [css-color] wider/deeper colors

> On Feb 16, 2016, at 7:39 PM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>
>> I think we're now settled on color() for the function name, color-gamut
>> for the media-query name, and color-profile for the @rule that links
>> to an ICC profile.
>
> Agree on the first two. As for the @rule, should it be color-space instead
> of color-profile, since some spaces (CIELAB, CIEXYZ) are be defined without
> a profile?
>
> Or is this distinction not important to make, or am I making it at the
> wrong place?

As of about an hour ago, Apple now has both desktop/OS X (iMac) and mobile/iOS (iPad Pro) hardware with wider gamuts. For this reason I'd like to push ahead with at least the media-query that allows developers to detect such displays, so they can supply better images in CSS and <picture>.

FWIW, we say that both displays support P3. There are a number of different P3 profiles, hence my request to say "P3 or abouts". Internally, I've been told to use "Display P3" in Photoshop.

Next on the list would be the color() function, so you could match a CSS color to something in an image. I don't think that's quite as urgent as the media query.

Dean