Re: [css-ui] Allowing pseudo-elements on form controls when appearance:none

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:35 AM, Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net> wrote:
>> On Mar 11, 2016, at 09:23, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Safari and Chrome both allow pseudo-elements on their form inputs.
>> Other browsers don't.  We looked into removing this, but the
>> use-counter is recording ~.07% of pages using it, which is 20x our max
>> removal threshold.
>>
>> Actually specifying pseudo-elements on inputs would require specifying
>> the internal structure of inputs at least somewhat, which we haven't
>> managed to do yet (and I'm not confident we *can* do).  But Boris
>> suggested, in one of the bugthreads, allowing it on appearance:none
>> inputs - basically just turning them into <div>s, rather than
>> "kinda-replaced" elements.
>>
>> We *think* this is feasible.  We haven't run a use-counter on it yet,
>> but it *looks* like most uses of pseudos on inputs use appearance:none
>> as well, to shut down the normal styling.  Assuming the numbers are
>> good, we think we'd be willing to turn off pseudo-elements when
>> appearance *isn't* none.
>>
>> What do other implementors think?  Would y'all be willing to implement
>> pseudo-elements on the input elements when they're appearance:none?
>
> Just to be clear, you are talking about ::before and ::after (and maybe ::marker),
> not the various vendor specific form element specific pseudos, right?

Right. I'm not trying to spec all the form-specific pseudos right now.
^_^  It's just that, for example, tons of people use ::before/after on
<input type=checkbox> to give them fancy appearances, and because this
works in WebKit/Blink (most of the mobile market) people ignore the
fact that they don't work in Firefox/IE.

~TJ